What do you tell newly engaged or young married couples about faithfulness in marriage? We were with some long-time friends last night gathered around a beautiful young couple about to marry. We were there to encourage and advise them as they take this step in their lives. Here is some advice from those strong marriages about protecting your marriage from an affair. We have all weathered many storms together. Some of us have been married five years all the way up to 35 years or so.
I thought these were worth sharing with all of you as a reminder of the importance of your promise to your chosen one.
- Draw a hedge around your marriage that no one crosses.
- Be honest. Confess to each other. Be transparent.
- Listen to your spouse. If your spouse says, “That person really likes you. I mean really likes you.” Take note and distance yourself.
- Don’t compliment a person of the opposite sex on the way they look – ever. Not one of your couple friends. Not Brad Pitt. No one gets that gift except your spouse.
- Keep the home fires stoked. Make your spouse want to come home and be with you.
- Spend your recreation time together. Do things that you both like.
- Grant full access to each other’s devices/ texts, etc. Secrecy is never good.
- Don’t think it can’t happen to you.
What would you add to this list?
I hope you have a great day!